Finally, building project management services and construction project management services can also help save time and money on most projects, despite the increased expense of retaining their services. Through solid project management, planning, scheduling, and communication, costly delays, inefficiencies, or rework can be reduced or eliminated. Ultimately, a building project management service or construction project management service can be thought of like queens in a beehive – organizing and orchestrating the activity of all the various other bees as they go about their tasks to make sure everything is proceeding optimally.
BUILDING PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES AND CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES – IS THERE A DIFFERENCE?
The terms building project management services and construction project management services are often used interchangeably and are one in the same thing, though there are some subtle differences. In general, a building project management services company may be limited in the types of projects they work on – that is, they are primarily concerned with the building of buildings and related tasks. A construction project management services company, on the other hand, may work more broadly, on both building projects as well as things as diverse as road and bridge construction, paving/resurfacing, road modifications and widening, excavation and installation of tanks or piping, watershed management construction projects, storm preparation or recovery projects, and many others.
So, while it is fair to use the terms interchangeably in the most discussion, in general terms, a building project management company is probably not suited for non-building related tasks, whereas a construction project management company covers the whole range of construction projects. One can consider them as a specialist in building projects vs. a jack-of-all-trades for construction projects, respectively. As always, it is best to do research and consult with a specific project management company to know their capabilities before retaining one or signing any contracts for a given building project.
BUILDING PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES AND CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES – TYPICAL SERVICES
Building project management services and construction project management services companies typically operate as consultants, though maybe affiliated with larger full-service building or construction operators in some cases. Regardless, while their sizes and expertise may differ, and depend much on the specifics of the job, they all generally offer services in the following areas:
- Construction project design/architectural/planning reviews,
- Surveying, blueprint generation, etc.,
- Contract negotiations and review,
- Staff and contractor planning,
- Determining needed services, staff, and equipment,
- Vetting and hiring of best personnel and companies for the cost,
- Construction materials/purchasing planning,
- Ensuring sufficient materials for the building project are available and delivered at the necessary time for their requisite use in the project,
- Construction project bids management,
- Construction project cost estimating based on experience and database of prior building works to determine the proper cost for various parts of the building project, to choose the best groups or companies based on bids,
- Change orders - managing ongoing changes necessitated by design changes, material changes, or other factors, and communicating those changes in a formalized way to the different groups working on the building project,
- Build scheduling and workflow - determining what groups or companies are needed when, how long work will take, and providing a master schedule for minimizing downtime and maximizing productivity,
- Construction project materials/delivery workflow,
- Productivity analysis - keeping tabs on the different groups or companies working on the building project and being able to identify and remedy problems that might compromise the building project schedule,
- Value engineering - determining areas where cost savings can be generated without compromising design, safety, or other factors,
- Construction project control and management systems, providing a reporting system to give clients and stakeholders with at-a-glance status reports on where the building project is vs. schedule and cost,
- Inspection, permitting, and quality assurance, handling all the necessary paperwork, permits, and licenses needed for the construction project, as well as coordinating with third-party or in-house inspectors and quality assurance agents to ensure all work is done correctly and up to the applicable building or construction codes for a given jurisdiction,
- Dispute avoidance and resolution processes,
- Personnel training and paperwork management.
As always, the specifics of a job dictate what kind of services a building project management services or construction project management services company must provide. Often, specific building project management services or construction project management services will specialize in certain types of projects – companies that only deal with building high-rise buildings or residential neighborhoods, for example, are common.
One of the essential services that they provide, which not explicitly mentioned in the list above, is the act of being a central hub of activity and reporting. The project manager becomes the “boss,” in a sense, of the various contractors, companies, or groups working on a project, and the client doesn’t need to get involved trying to manage or micromanage all these activities. The building project manager from the building, construction project management services company serves as the client’s point of contact, both flowing information to the client and decisions/directions from the client to the various personnel on the building project. It helps reduce miscommunications and confusion and ensures an orderly schedule and deployment of resources so that no one is working at cross-purposes and everyone is moving in lockstep towards the same goal.
BUILDING PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES AND CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES – HOW TO CHOOSE?
Choosing the right building project management services or construction project management services company for a project can be challenging. Aside from the obvious consideration – picking a company that claims to be capable of handling a specific project –several areas should be investigated. These include:
Experience – do a building project management services provider has much experience in a sector, geographic area, or doesn’t, those are good indicators of whether or not building, construction project management services company right for a task.
Professionalism – all companies should interact with clients and project personnel in a respectful, professional manner, answering questions and providing reports on time in a professional way.
Equipment/technology – good building project management services and construction project management services companies will not need to reinvent the wheel for an individual building project. They should have all the equipment and software/technology necessary to manage a given project, and the systems and training in place to ensure that one uses it efficiently and correctly.
Ratings/reviews/testimonials – like most hired professionals and firms, reviews or ratings are often a great place to get more information. Testimonies or discussion with other companies who have used the firm is also often instructive.
Safety – all building projects can be dangerous, and safety should be a primary focus for any building project management services or construction project management services company. If they don’t prioritize or talk about safety and cut corners there, it is likely they will cut corners elsewhere – both bad things that can end up costing a lot in money and possibly human health and well-being in the long run.
Time and money – finally, the timeframe and time commitment of working with a building project management services company, and their fees or cost, are typically the most significant factors in deciding. It is worth noting, however, that the cheapest option is often not the best one, and all factors weighed before making a final choice.
BUILDING PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES AND CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES – SUMMARY
In summary, building project management services and construction project management services companies are critical for managing building and construction projects. Even smaller projects can benefit from the multitude of organizational, planning, paperwork, monitoring, and communications services that a suitable building project management services or construction project management services company can provide. They help projects get completed on schedule and budget. As is often said, a failure to plan is a plan for failure, and expert project managers can handle the planning to ensure a project doesn’t become a failure.